Saint Mary in Palms
Founded in the 1919 and at our current location since 1958, the Parish of St. Mary in Palms was planted by a handful of families from St. Augustine-by-the-Sea in Santa Monica. For nearly 100 years, St. Mary's has been a Christian presence in the Palms neighborhood, baptizing, nurturing, teaching, sending, and burying residents of the community. St. Mary also serves the community in other ways, providing space for 12-step meetings, community groups, and schools, and co-operating a lunch delivery program to those homebound with AIDS (with Grace Lutheran Church in Culver City and St. Bede's in Mar Vista) and supporting a cooperative food bank (with Grace Lutheran Church and St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church). St. Mary in Palms is an Episcopal Church, which is a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion. St. Mary's is part of the Anglo-Catholic stream within the Episcopal Church, which means we treasure the Catholic heritage of Anglicanism (in worship, theology, and spirituality) alongside our Protestant heritage. In the tradition of historic Anglo-Catholicism, we welcome everyone to worship with us, and invite all to grow in love of God and neighbor.
Father Vincent Shamo, Rector
Fr. Vincent Shamo is the Rector (pastor) at St. Mary in Palms. Originally from Ghana, Fr. Shamo spent several years as a monk in the Order of the Holy Cross before he was called to parish ministry. Fr. Shamo studied at St. Nicholas theological College, Cape Coast, Ghana; Ripon College Cuddesdon, England, Church Divinity School of the Pacific and the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, CA. Before coming to St. Mary's, Fr. Shamo served as Campus Minister at UC Irvine and at St. James in the City in Koreatown, St. Clement's in Berkeley, several parishes in Ghana including St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church, Accra.